.desc-wrapper p { display:none; }

Make a quilt: part 2

Last time I spoke a little bit getting started with quilt-making, and in this post I'll chat about actually putting the quilt top together.

Once I had finally cut all my squares out of the Worn and Washed scraps of Liberty prints, I found I was still a few short. So I decided to supplement the quilt with a few extra patterned scraps I had lying around instead of compromising on the finished size of the quilt.

I eventually also ran out of patterned scraps, so I resorted to using some black linen which made for quite a nice design device when it came to laying it out. I made a big cross and worked from the inside square towards the outer edges, placing the pieces to find the best layout and distribution of colour.

A small tip for even colour distribution: I found it really helpful to divide my squares into "themes". Pinks, blues, neutrals, dense florals, dark tones, etc. That way, I could take turns placing squares of different kinds, separating them up more evenly within the layout of the quilt.

Once I was happy with the design, it was time to start sewing!

Working row by row, I stitched each square next to it's adjacent partner, making long strips. Then I pressed the seams open for a really crisp and neat finish, so that it was easy to line up the seams when sewing each row together.

Even though I took a lot of care when cutting my squares initially, some of them still proved to be slightly bigger or smaller when it came to stitching them together. That said, I did find that most of the size difference was negligible, as long as special care was taken to line up the seams and ease the excess fabric in neatly.

I worked really systematically in the beginning and got progressively more slap-dash towards the end. Sometimes impatience to see the final product gets the better of me. Luckily I don't think it reflects in the end product, as the squares line up pretty well for the most part.

So, there you have it! One finished quilt top! I'm going to buy some backing, batting and binding (that's some really satisfying alliteration) this week, so next time I'll update you on the final product.