.desc-wrapper p { display:none; }

Faux leather jacket: part 2

All that successful top-stitching after my last jacket update had me quite excited, but my machine struggled to keep up with my enthusiasm during the last throes of this project. The seams got thicker and the sewing more laboured, but I gotta hand it to her, that old girl still knows what she's doing. 

This old girl on the other hand (moi) had her fair share of oversights during the construction phase. Setting in the zipper had me unpicking as I made the mistake of lining it up with the bottom of the jacket without leaving space for seam allowance. Luckily, the line along which I had stitched was fine, so the little holes that it left can't be seen on the final product. 

The great thing about the detailing of this jacket was that all the snaps demanded a hammer – and wielding that about was great relief from the frustration of any unpicking I had to do. It's the first time I've ever had to do use any hardware in a sew, and man, was it fun. Forget tea and biscuits, tea and hammers is the way forward. (Although you will still spy biscuits in the picture.)

tea-and-hammers.jpg

The patch pockets are the first thing I've made with hammer-on snaps. I was a little daunted at first, but once you get going it's quite an easy process. That said, I was very tempted to just leave it as a waistcoat...

But I promise I didn't! Final jacket pictures coming soon.